WUSF Public Media is a comprehensive public media organization that operates an NPR news and jazz radio station and an all-classical music radio station, and provides digital content online, through newsletters, podcasts and social media and serves a weekly audience of greater than 350,000. It is a department of the University of South Florida, has 70 employees and a budget of $12 million.
- Host classical music weekdays, weekends and evenings, researching the music’s history and recent news on present-day musicians and composers
- Prepare scripts for live interviews;
- Conduct occasional live and recorded interviews with composers, musicians and conductors
- Engage with classical audience on social media and digital platforms;
- Assist with writing and producing fundraising materials;
- On-air fundraising; contribute to station promotional writing and production;
- Host station events onsite and at remote locations; introduce Bay Area, Sarasota and Lakeland concerts;
- Voice recording for WUSF Public Media.
- Operational assistance as required for music scheduling, automation maintenance and substitution logistics.
- Oversee and schedule student workers, interns both paid and unpaid assisting with music library maintenance and voice tracking.
- Host and prepare shows for classical music weekdays, weekends and evenings. Write all music breaks, and research the music’s history and recent news on present-day musicians.
- Engage the audience through social media and digital platforms; and through interviews in live and recorded settings.
- On-air fundraising; hosting station events.
- Contribute to writing, recording and producing on-air promotional materials, in addition to providing production assistance for special programs and broadcasts.
- May be required to assist with music scheduling utilizing Music Master software in collaboration with Music Director and Music Programmer
- Assist operations with recording, voicetracking, and promotional audio by loading and managing automation software.
- Host will be required to serve as live or voicetracked on-air substitute.
- Oversee student interns
- Other duties as assigned
This position requires a Bachelor’s degree in Journalism, Communications, Music or related field and three
years of directly related experience; or a Master’s degree in the fields listed above. Four years of
vocational/technical training and experience may substitute for the Bachelor’s degree requirement.
- Experienced broadcaster with a passion for classical music and for the audience
- A working knowledge of classical music
- Ability to interview high caliber performers
- Comfortable engaging and connecting with listeners and members of the arts community
- On-air fundraising skills
- Strong writing skills.
This position requires the ability to run a broadcast console, an understanding of and ability to work with
automation and editing software. Must have valid Class E driver’s license.
This position is subject to a Level 1 criminal background check.
Department: 0-0662-000 / WUSF Public Media
Deadline Date: 02/27/2020
The University of South Florida System is a high-impact, global research system dedicated to student success. The USF System includes three institutions: USF; USF St. Petersburg; and USF Sarasota-Manatee. The institutions are separately accredited by the Commission on Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools. All institutions have distinct missions and their own detailed strategic plans. Serving over 48,000 students, the USF System has an annual budget of $1.6 billion and an annual economic impact of $4.4 billion. USF is a member of the American Athletic Conference.
Working at USF:
With more than 16,000 employees in the USF System, the University of South Florida is one of the largest employers in the Tampa Bay region. At USF you will find opportunities to excel in a rich academic environment that fosters the development and advancement of our employees. We believe in creating a talented, engaged and driven workforce through on-going development and career opportunities. We also offer a first class benefit package that includes medical, dental and life insurance plans, retirement plan options, tuition program and generous leave programs and more.
To learn more about working at USF please visit: Work Here. Learn Here. Grow Here.
How To Apply:
Click on the Apply Now button. When applying to an opening you will have the opportunity to upload a cover letter and resume.
Apply online by completing the required information and attaching your cover letter and resume. Please include your experience as it relates to the qualifications stated above. YOUR COVER LETTER AND RESUME, PLUS ANY OTHER REQUESTED MATERIAL, MUST BE IN ONE ATTACHMENT. Only online applications are accepted for this position.
Click here for additional tutorial information.
USF is an equal opportunity, equal access academic institution that embraces diversity in the workplace.
Campus map and location overview: USF – Tampa Campus