WUSF Public Media is a comprehensive media organization that provides public radio and public service
content to audiences on broadcast and digital platforms including websites and social media. WUSF Public
Media operates WUSF 89.7, WSMR 89.1 and 103.9. There are 75 employees and the annual budget is $12
million. WUSF Public Media is a department of the University of South Florida and provides internships to
students. WUSF Public Media’s main studios are on the USF Tampa campus, with a music performance studio
on the USFSM campus and a news production office on the USFSP campus.
The role of the Community Engagement Coordinator is to fulfill WUSF Public Media’s mission to develop and
build relationships with members of the community, audience, donors and stakeholders for the purpose of
engaging and educating children, families, individuals and communities through public radio and public media
content, programs and experiences.
- Work with a team to develop and lead educational engagements that connect WUSF and WSMR staff and content with students, families, individuals and communities for the purpose of extending the audience for WUSF Public Media and creating greater value for the content and services provided by WUSF Public Media.
- Develop events driven by educational opportunities and grants and maximize opportunities presented through partnerships with sponsors, community organizations, USF departments and other media. These events may include fulfilling the community engagement and educational activities specified by grants, implementing WUSF Public Media involvement with community partners established through the sales department, coordinating co-sponsorships with USF departments and other activities inspired by WUSF Public Media content, NPR and Corporation for Public Broadcasting’s educational opportunities.
- Develop an annual event plan in coordination with the marketing coordinator and all departments and the WUSF Public Media event calendar that maximizes exposure of the stations, educational opportunities, the content and staff to the community concentrating on opportunities within the broadcast footprint of the radio stations.
- Communicate information about events to staff and management in a clear and focused manner verbally and in writing. Develop and adhere to a budget, coordinate budgets with WUSF business office and supervisor, manage invoices and purchase requirements, and ensure grant compliance for events. Coordinate event attendance by staff, sponsors and donors and ensure that all are provided with a safe and comfortable environment. Ensure that all aspects of an event are in place prior to the event. Ensure that events serve to educate by furthering the knowledge of attendees.
- Lead and attend community engagement activities required by grants.
- Lead and attend community engagement activities on behalf of WUSF Public Media including the news department, Classical WSMR, the development department, sales and digital departments.
- Provide analytics on participants and effectiveness of activities.
- Adhere to WUSF Public Media and USF guidelines and procedures to establish liability coverage where and when necessary.
- Create marketing materials in coordination with WUSF Communications and Marketing Coordinator for use by staff and those affiliated with WUSF Public Media. Run special events committee meetings. Develop project reports and disseminate information internally to staff and management.
This position requires a Bachelor’s degree in communication, marketing, public relations, technical writing, digital media, or related field, with two years of experience in related positions; or a Master’s degree in the fields listed above. Appropriate college coursework or vocational/technical training may substitute at an equivalent rate for the required experience.
Strong writing skills, event planning and public radio knowledge is preferred. Work experience in data base program, software experience including data pulls, use of Excel and Microsoft Office. Experience with corporate communications on social media platforms.
- Organizational skills
- Relationship building skills
- Knowledge of BaseCamp or other digital organizing tool
- Knowledge of EventBrite
- Able to set up promotional tents, flags and banners
- Able to maintain a flexible schedule when necessary
This position is subject to a Level 1 criminal background check.
Department: 0-0662-000 / WUSF Public Media
Deadline Date: 03/11/2020
The University of South Florida System is a high-impact, global research system dedicated to student success. The USF System includes three institutions: USF; USF St. Petersburg; and USF Sarasota- Manatee. The institutions are separately accredited by the Commission on Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools. All institutions have distinct missions and their own detailed strategic plans. Serving over 48,000 students, the USF System has an annual budget of $1.6 billion and an annual economic impact of $4.4 billion. USF is a member of the American Athletic Conference.
Working at USF:
With more than 16,000 employees in the USF System, the University of South Florida is one of the largest employers in the Tampa Bay region. At USF you will find opportunities to excel in a rich academic environment that fosters the development and advancement of our employees. We believe in creating a talented, engaged and driven workforce through on-going development and career opportunities. We also offer a first class benefit package that includes medical, dental and life insurance plans, retirement plan options, tuition program and generous leave programs and more.
To learn more about working at USF please visit: Work Here. Learn Here. Grow Here.
How To Apply:
Click on the Apply Now button. When applying to an opening you will have the opportunity to upload a cover letter and resume.
Apply online by completing the required information and attaching your cover letter and resume. Please include your experience as it relates to the qualifications stated above. YOUR COVER LETTER AND RESUME, PLUS ANY OTHER REQUESTED MATERIAL, MUST BE IN ONE ATTACHMENT. Only online applications are accepted for this position.
Click here for additional tutorial information.
USF is an equal opportunity, equal access academic institution that embraces diversity in the workplace.
Campus map and location overview: USF – Tampa Campus