COMMUNICATIONS & MARKETING OFFICE
WUSF Public Media is a comprehensive media organization that provides public radio and public service
content to audiences on broadcast and digital platforms including websites and social media. WUSF Public
Media operates WUSF 89.7, WSMR 89.1 and 103.9. There are 75 employees and the annual budget is $12
million. WUSF Public Media is a department of the University of South Florida and provides internships to
students. WUSF Public Media’s main studios are on the USF Tampa campus, with a music performance studio
on the USFSM campus and a news production office on the USFSP campus.
The role of the Communication & Marketing Coordinator is to create awareness and extend the reach of WUSF
Public Media’s brand and content to create audience growth and improve use of WUSF Public Media’s
programs and resources.
- Work with a team to develop the WUSF Public Media brand through comprehensive marketing opportunities
including partnerships with sponsors, community organizations, USF departments and other media.
Collaborate with WUSF departments to develop an annual marketing plan in coordination with the WUSF
Public Media event calendar that maximizes exposure of the stations, the content and staff to the community,
concentrating on those in the broadcast footprint of the radio stations and on extending the reach and
increasing the use of WUSF Public Media content.
- Explore and develop trade opportunities with outside media outlets for station events, staff events, marketing, sponsorships and more. Coordinate and ensure the use of all event and media trade. This includes trade assets such as program ad placements, event emcee opportunities, staff participation, and tickets. Ensure these assets are fully utilized and accounted for, and provide the best benefit to WUSF Public Media. Coordinate promotional and other marketing opportunities that are offered as part of station event co-sponsorships. Manage event attendance by staff, sponsors and donors in coordination with the community engagement coordinator.
- Market and promote community engagement activities included in grants.
- Lead and attend community engagement activities on behalf of WUSF Public Media including the sales
department, news department, Classical WSMR, the development department, and digital departments.
Work in close coordination with WUSF Community Engagement Coordinator and the sales team to secure
event venues and catering.
- Work in close coordination with WUSF Digital Services staff and external designer to create materials for use
by staff and those affiliated with WUSF Public Media including graphical explainers, slide decks, social media
posts and other presentation material. Insure that all materials convey consistent branding standards.
- Facilitate news releases with external marketing agency.
This position requires a Bachelor’s degree in communication, marketing, public relations, technical writing,
digital media, or related field, with two years of experience in related positions; or a Master’s degree in the
fields listed above. Appropriate college coursework or vocational/technical training may substitute at an
equivalent rate for the required experience.
Copy writing, proofreading and public radio knowledge is preferred. Work experience with data base programs,
software experience including data pulls, use of Excel and Microsoft Office. Experience with corporate
communications on social media platforms. Must have a valid class E drivers license.
- Organizational skills
- Relationship building skills
- Knowledge of BaseCamp or other digital organizing tool
- Knowledge of EventBrite
- Able to set up promotional tents, flags and banners
- Able to maintain a flexible schedule when necessary
This position is subject to a Level 1 criminal background check.
Department: 0-0662-000 / WUSF Public Media
Deadline Date: 03/28/2020
The University of South Florida System is a high-impact, global research system dedicated to student success. The USF System includes three institutions: USF; USF St. Petersburg; and USF Sarasota- Manatee. The institutions are separately accredited by the Commission on Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools. All institutions have distinct missions and their own detailed strategic plans. Serving over 48,000 students, the USF System has an annual budget of $1.6 billion and an annual economic impact of $4.4 billion. USF is a member of the American Athletic Conference.
Working at USF:
With more than 16,000 employees in the USF System, the University of South Florida is one of the largest employers in the Tampa Bay region. At USF you will find opportunities to excel in a rich academic environment that fosters the development and advancement of our employees. We believe in creating a talented, engaged and driven workforce through on-going development and career opportunities. We also offer a first class benefit package that includes medical, dental and life insurance plans, retirement plan options, tuition program and generous leave programs and more.
To learn more about working at USF please visit: Work Here. Learn Here. Grow Here.
How To Apply:
Click on the Apply Now button. When applying to an opening you will have the opportunity to upload a cover letter and resume.
Apply online by completing the required information and attaching your cover letter and resume. Please include your experience as it relates to the qualifications stated above. YOUR COVER LETTER AND RESUME, PLUS ANY OTHER REQUESTED MATERIAL, MUST BE IN ONE ATTACHMENT. Only online applications are accepted for this position.
Click here for additional tutorial information.
USF is an equal opportunity, equal access academic institution that embraces diversity in the workplace.
Campus map and location overview: USF – Tampa Campus